Monday, June 18, 2018

A Day in the Life: The State Attorney's Office


Working at the State Attorney’s Office this summer has been such a fantastic experience so far.  I have been fortunate enough to be placed in the White Collar Crime unit, and they have let me very hands on.  All of the people (paralegals, lawyers, secretaries, etc.) have been very friendly and helpful.  My favorite part of my internship so far has been reading official investigative documents and evidence.  One of the tasks that I do is synthesize large amounts of evidence to manageable chunks to help the state attorneys with their case load.  It is really interesting to listen to witness interviews, and I am quite the transcriber these days!

I am also fortunate enough to be able to attend court proceedings—sometimes invited by an attorney, and sometimes just for myself.  The attorneys encourage me to observe any cases that I am interested in, regardless of the department that has the case.  No, being in court is not as dramatic as Law & Order makes it seem, but it is very exciting nonetheless.  The judges have no tolerance for shenanigans in the courtroom, so if you rub them the wrong way, they will use their authority.  And, anything from negotiations to witness statements can have you on the edge of your seat.  There have even been some surprise reveals, but not as “plot-twisting” as the ones written into the script of a television show.

The most exciting accomplishment that I have had so far is a chart that I created for a bank statement has been given to a jury to illustrate the deposit and withdrawal of money.  A real jury is going to see my work!  I do not have a by-line or anything, but knowing that my work will make that much of a difference and an impact is gratifying.  That is not to say that everything I generate is perfect on the first try.  I am human, I make mistakes, but the attorneys here have taught me things that I do not think I could have ever learned in the classroom setting.  If you have an opportunity to get some real-world experience, I would definitely take it.  It does not matter who you work for or what you do.

My research skills have been put in use quite a bit in this position.  I have to look up statutes and previous case law all of the time in order to make sure that we have covered all of the elements of crimes and prepare before the cases go to trial.  You never want to be unprepared in court.  Sometimes that is easier said than done when investigators bring you six giant binders full of all of the evidence for a case and different documents that are necessary.  You never know what and how the different things you learn in school are going to come in handy.
 
Hope you are enjoying your summer!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment